Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I Quit The Gym

Do you remember the episode of Friends where Chandler wants to quit the gym? I had that moment today. If you don’t know this reference, we can not be friends. It was awesomely similar. Cute, fit blonde asking, “Is there any reason why?” I WANNA QUIT THE GYM. It was intimidating. The obese girl admitting failure.

I have been pro/conning this decision for a few months now and I feel like I do have valid reasons. I joined my gym April 2010. It is “the” gym to join. Movie theatre. Several classes. It. All. But not for me.

Reason #1: Since then, I have lost 25 pounds and gained 35.

Reason #2: Last November, I inquired about their personal training services and was treated terribly. Truly. I was astounded at the personal trainer's rudeness and lack of service. That post will come in time but let’s just say she couldn’t close the deal.

Reason #3: I HATE treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers, weights, weight machines and everything else in the gym.

Reason #4 I love classes but do not enjoy their instructors. I have attended 25 different classes or so and most instructors have been rude or just incredibly unwelcoming. If I'm going to have a fitness instructor or trainer, I want that person to understand that each person is on their own journey.

I don't need you to hold my hand and be my cheerleader but I don't want you to smirk when I walk into your spinning class because the truth is, I'm a machine at spinning.

I'm sure that several of you may have the opinion that, I'm obese. I'm going to face these types of challenges and behaviors. The world can be judgemental and cruel. Possibly so but....do I want to pay for that kind of treatment?

With ALLLLLL that being said, if I hate all of those things, are they really going to aid me in losing weight? I truly just don’t enjoy those activities. I have been playing gym rat for 10 years. When I imagine my perfect adult life, it isn’t going to the gym. It is running, practicing yoga, hiking and living an active life.

So. Today, I quit the gym. Walked 1.25 miles (um. it was a rigorous terrain, ok?) and started a new blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment